likely to have hearing loss. Because we’re deep into the grilling months, we’re offering a couple of delicious diabetes-friendly side-dish recipes for your next cookout that will tickle taste buds, turn heads, and take it easy on your blood sugar.
Ingredients (serves 12)
- 6 oz Mexican chorizo sausage
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (11 oz) whole-kernel corn, drained
- 2 oz low-fat cream cheese
- ¼ cup fat-free sour cream
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 slices whole-wheat bread
- 24 stuffer mushroom caps (or large, de-stemmed mushrooms)
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cook de-cased chorizo, onion, and garlic in a skillet over medium heat for 6 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble.
- Drain chorizo mixture and pat dry with paper towels.
- Combine chorizo mixture and corn in a bowl. Combine cream cheese and sour cream in a small bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Add cheese mixture and salt to the chorizo mixture.
- Pulse bread in food processor until fine crumbs measure 1 cup.
- Fill each mushroom cap with about ¾ tsp breadcrumbs, then with 2 tsp corn mixture. Top with remaining breadcrumbs.
- Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray, and coat each mushroom with cooking spray.
- Bake 20 minutes or until tops are browned.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup dried apricots
- 1 medium sweet pepper (red or yellow), cut into strips
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp snipped fresh cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup apricot nectar
- 2 tbsp salad oil
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 cups shredded fresh spinach
- ombine beans, apricots, sweet pepper, green onion, cilantro, and garlic in a bowl.
- In a screw-top jar, combine apricot nectar, oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and ginger. Cover and shake well.
- Pour over bean mixture and toss gently to coat.
- Arrange spinach in a salad bowl and top with black-bean mixture.
NIH. Hearing Loss Is Common in People with Diabetes.
https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/hearing-loss-common-people-diabetes. Accessed May 17, 2017. Recipes adapted from recipes found on DiabeticConnect.com and DiabeticLivingOnline.com, accessed May 17, 2017.